Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Be Content With Such Things As Ye Have

It's been one of those times and I've just recognized that this feeling I've had tonight is discontentment. So, since one of the stated purposes of this blog is to help me seek the positive, let me share what I just found and hopefully it will help. :)

Tonight, for family scripture study, we read 2 Nephi 7 where Jacob is quoting the prophet Isaiah, and he says, "Yea, for thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever?" I think, "No," and decided to search for the word "content" in the scriptures because I was reminded of a scripture that talked about being content and I wanted to read it again. I think Alma 29:3 was the one I was thinking of, but I think Hebrews 13:5 fits better for my situation today.

"Let your conversation be without acovetousness; and be bcontent with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor cforsake thee."

The word "conversation" in the King James Version of the Bible usually means "conduct" or how we live. So we should not live for what we don't have and instead be content with what we do have because the Lord will not leave us or forsake us. If you go to the footnote in "forsake," it refers to Joshua 1:5, where the Lord is talking with Joshua and telling him that He will be with Joshua as he was with Moses. What a great thing to have God be with us. It's a good reminder.

No comments: