Sunday, August 17, 2008

Things I Love About My Faith: I Am A Child of God

Ever since I was little, I've known that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Father that knows me and loves me. We believe in our church that all people are spiritual children of God, created in God's own image. We believe that God is our spiritual Father and we, as His children, are all brothers and sisters. Because we are His children, He wants us to become like Him and so He has given us a plan while we are here on the earth where we can learn to become like Him and return to live with Him one day.

This last week, I had a friend share a thought that made me think about this concept in a different way. She said that each of us, at our most basic level, is a child of God and as such, that is how we should define ourselves. Many times, we define ourselves by our talents or achievements, our professions, or our feelings. Because we define ourselves this way, the definition of ourselves can change for good or for bad many times, even in one day.

When we, instead, define ourselves as a child of God, as a person who is related to the Creator and Designer of the universe, how else can we see ourselves except as a person who is somebody, who has great and even divine worth. If we could know that all the time, wouldn't we treat ourselves and others differently? Would we act more kindly, more generously, more charitably with those around us, but especially with ourselves?

I know that I have a Father in Heaven who knows me better than I know myself and loves me still. I love that I am a child of a real, tangible God, not some unknowable, formless spirit that pervades the universe. I love that I am made in His image and that He has provided us a way to return to live with Him again. I love that I can talk with Him through prayer and that He can answer me and help me when I need it. Isn't it great?

No comments: