Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks In All Things

Since today is Thanksgiving in the United States when we take time to think about what we are grateful for and since it's also one great way to seek the positive, I'm going to make a list of some of the things I am grateful for. I thought I'd do it a little differently because it usually seems that the same things are mentioned, God, family, country, home, food, shelter, freedom, friends, etc., and I thought I would try and look beyond that and see what I could come up with.

Enjoy.

Things I am thankful for:
  • my Pocket PC, because it's small, compact, and holds all the things I need to remember plus I can read books on it, check my e-mail and the Internet, let my children use the drawing program to help them be quiet at church, and play mp3s to listen to books and talks while I work.
  • hot, running water from the tap.
  • my education and the desire and ability to continue learning.
  • my gas stove. (I really will miss it when I have to go back to electric burners one day.)
  • cinder block walls because I can use those 3M hooks and not worry about them ripping the drywall.
  • 3M hooks, so I can decorate my apartment better.
  • my city library. It has such a good collection and it's nice to be able to read many of the books I want while living on a student budget.
  • electricity.
  • Jesus Christ. (Yes, I know I said that I was trying to think of less common things to be thankful for, but I saw His picture on the wall and my life wouldn't be what it is without Him, so there. ;) )
  • microwaves.
  • Google Reader because I can keep up on my sites and not use a lot of time.
  • my husband having his thesis defense scheduled in less than two weeks.
  • lower gas prices.
  • a living room without a TV in it.
  • washing machines and dryers because they save a lot of time.
  • refrigerators and freezers.
  • Google Maps because it helps me find places.
  • staplers and paper clips because they keep my papers together.
  • scissors.
You're welcome to post other things that you are grateful for in the comments, if you like.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: